Health & Wellbeing

University Health and Wellbeing

University College Birmingham has a Health and Wellbeing team who are committed to helping you access the most appropriate support and information. They can provide Mental Health & Wellbeing Advice as well as Counselling.

They are located on the ground floor in The Link and offer face-to-face or telephone appointments.

To book an appointment, you just need to fill-in this online registration form on portal.


Both your physical and mental health are extremely important and below is some information on general support services you can access. We have also developed specific pages on: 


If you're struggling...

Please register via the portal to make an appointment to see a counsellor or Mental Health & Wellbeing Adviser who can support you with any concerns you may have.

The Health and wellbeing service at University College Birmingham is not an emergency service and so it may not be possible to get hold of the wellbeing team on short notice. If you cannot wait for your allocated appointment, the following listening services are available and can lend an ear if you need it. More services can be found under the ‘Mental Health’ tab.


Student Assistance Programme

All of our students have access to a Student Assistance Programme who can provide mental health support, in addition to the existing Wellbeing support. This free and confidential service is designed to help you deal with personal or academic problems that could be affecting your home life, health or general wellbeing.

The My Healthy Advantage app is also available to download from Google Play or the App Store and offers access to health and wellbeing support at the tap of a finger anywhere and anytime. 

To register and gain access to the My Healthy Advantage mobile app you will require your ID code: MHA ID Code – MHA145988

The SAP service provides a complete support network with unlimited access to a 24/7 confidential counselling helpline that offers expert advice and compassionate guidance, covering a wide range of issues. This includes the option of structured counselling sessions from trained counsellors, over the phone. 

To speak to a BACP-accredited counsellor at any time of day or night, just call 0800 028 3766

The Health Assured support line is a separate service offered to students of University College Birmingham. Health Assured provides a confidential service and the information you discuss with their helpline support workers is not routinely provided to the University unless your health, wellbeing or welfare is judged to be at imminent risk. In these circumstances and where the support worker thinks you need additional support they will seek your consent to share your name and information about their concerns with the University Counselling and Mental Health service so that they can provide you with further help. In some circumstances where you are not able to provide consent or where you refuse consent, Health Assured may still decide to share relevant information with the University where it is necessary to protect your or another person’s vital interests. This approach is consistent with the University’s Student Emergency Contact Statement which you agreed to at registration.



Samaritans are a free, confidential and non-judgemental listening service. If you need someone to talk to, you can call or e-mail them.

Telephone: 116 123



University Nurse and Medical Services

The University College Birmingham Nursing Service can provide you with information and advice on medical needs. This includes general medical advice and information, contraception and treatment for minor injuries. You can drop-in to room 323, Summer Row:

Monday-Thursday: 8-4pm

Friday: 8-3pm

Telephone: 0121 604 100 ext 2296 or 0121 232 4096 (direct)




The National Health Service (NHS) is a free at the point of use universal health system across the UK. All students are eligible for healthcare on the NHS, whether college or HE, home or international.



A GP (General Practitioner) is a Doctor who can treat you for all common medical conditions, and refer you to other services or to the Hospital. You can find your closest GP, and what services they offer here. You should register with a GP close to your accommodation.

The NHS also provide specific information for students accessing medical care here


NHS Walk-in Centres

There are some walk-in medical services available accross Birmingham that can offer a range of services and support for minor illnesses or injuries. 

In the event of an emergency, please contact the emergency services on 999 or attend your local Accident & Emergency department.  If you have a non-urgent medical problem, please contact 111.