Accommodation & Housing

What support can I get as a student?


Council Tax Exemptions 

Dependant on your living situation, you could be entitled to a Council Tax Exemption. You can find more information on the Birmingham City Council website and apply online. 


I need help with UCB-provided accommodation

You can contact the Guild for support with issues related to UCB-provided accommodation in The Maltings and Cambrian Hall. Please visit our Complaints and Appeals page for more information of how to book an appointment.


I need help with private housing


Citizens Advice 

Citizens Advice can provide independent and free advice on housing and accomodation. Their experts can provide information on renting privately, finding acccommodation,  mortgages, homelessness, eviction, repairs and your rights as a tenant. If you are having problems with where you live, Citizens Advice may be able to help. 

The closest Citizens Advice to UCB is:

Ground Floor Gazette Buildings
168 Corporation Street
West Midlands
B4 6TF

You can contact their Information Helpline from 9.30-16.30pm, Monday-Friday.

Telephone: 03444 77 1010



Shelter provide expert advice on housing issues and homelessness. This includes the option to chat to an advisor online,  contact their emergancy 365 day per year helpline or meet an advisor face to face. Shelter also provide free legal advice and can attend court on your behalf. 

Telephone: 0808 8000 4444


I am at risk of homelessness and need housing support


The Project

The Project aim to prevent homelessness in Birmingham and can provide free housing advice. 


Telephone: 0121 453 0606