This page contains information about the employability services at UCB and where you can access information on job opportunities.
hired@UCB is the Universities impartial careers, employability and placements service for students and alumni at University College Birmingham.
Whether it’s guiding you towards your ideal placement, preparing you to stand out in the job market or backing you in setting up your own business, their dedicated team have the specialist knowledge and experience to help craft you into a confident, career-ready graduate.
Go and meet them at the start of your studies, don’t leave it until your final year. There is so much one-on-one practical advice they can offer throughout your time with at UCB.
- Careers guidance – advice, tips and support
- Support finding placements and work experience
- Employability skills
- hiredConnect – e-learning and careers resources platform
- Unitemps – onsite recruitment agency helping students find work on and off campus
Hired Connect, provided by hired@UCB gives students access to a wide range of vacancies aimed at students and graduates. This can be accesssed via the Portal.
You can also visit them at the hired@UCB suite on the ground floor of Moss House.
Transformation West Midlands – My Community My Career Support
Within Hired we also have the Transformation West Midlands project, the project is aimed at:
- Final year undergraduates from the West Midlands region
- Recent alumni (up to two years after graduation) who have an undergraduate bachelor’s degree and who are either currently underemployed (not in graduate-level employment) or unemployed seeking a graduate job.
- Those who are from the West Midlands region.
The Transformation West Midlands project exists to help you gain the confidence to find a career in your home region and build the skills, confidence and knowledge to succeed. It offers a wide range of personalised services, details of which can be found here:
- Progression coaching: A progression coach is slightly different to a careers adviser in that the emphasis is not solely on offering careers advice, but more helping you look deeper into yourself, collaborating together to create ideas and move your situation on further towards a desirable outcome, which includes goal setting.
- Coaching can help you realise and appreciate your strengths, to unlock your potential and inner motivation - giving you greater confidence to move forward and achieve your goals.
- Reverse Mentoring: On this scheme, you (the Mentor) will be guiding the business (the mentee – this could be a hiring manager, talent acquisition manager or Director) to give feedback, support and advice on what you think about their current graduate recruitment practices and/or how they target students.
- The goal is to help organisations gain an insight into the mind-sets and experiences of students and/or graduates from the local area, so that they can attract a wider, diverse range of graduates from under-represented group as well as offer you skills, networking and an unique experience to add to your CV
To book an appointment please email Daniella firstname.lastname@example.org
The Enterprise Hive provides support and information to students wanting to set up their own businesses and develop their entrepeneurial spirit. They provide a mentoring service, 1-2-1 consultations, workshops and networking opportunities.
You can book your appointment today through the UCB Portal or e-mail.
Unitemps is a recruitment agency that specialises in finding temporary jobs, student jobs and internships. Their website provides information about job vacancies.
University College Birmingham Guild of Students provides students with employment and placement opportunities. For up to date information on what is available at the moment, please see our Jobs page.
Volunteering can be a great way to develop your skills, increase your employability and make you stand out as a graduate. You can find volunteering opportunities:
Telephone: 0121 643 4343